Friday, November 14, 2008

Q&A: My favorite superhero

Q & A time, and I guess it is also Comics Talk as well. The question is, who is my favorite female superhero?

The questioner figured on it being either Wonder Woman or She-Hulk. Nope on both counts.

Wonder Woman, I think, is too untouchable - too perfect. In a sense, it kind of makes her a boring character. She-Hulk, on the other hand - especially they way she's been written lately - is too much the opposite. TOO real. Right now she's being written as slutting herself to just about any super male that piques her interest. NOT a good example to set, I think.

No, the one character that I consider my favorite is Power Girl. She's super, attractive, fun, dedicated, and yet vulnerable. She's gone through quite a bit of loss in her life - her home planet Krypton (of Earth 2), her universe, then her cousin, Superman of Earth 2. Now she just found out that somehow Earth 2 has been remade, but she's been replaced by another Power Girl. Such vulnerability, to me, helps humanize a character that is otherwise beyond the experiences of us mere mortals. In other words, even though she can juggle tanks, she's as human as the rest of us.

I might include Storm, Starfire, and Rogue as other favorites, but Power Girl is my fave of the bunch.

8 comments:

Witty Indie said...

Can you explain further, on what is wrong on being TOO real in comics (reference to She-Hulk)?

I'm guessing nowadays comics are trying to find a balance between fiction and relativity.

As with any entertainment medium, you can't please everyone.

Anonymous said...

Please do something special for your 100th post.

Busty Superhero Chick said...

Indie,

While I enjoy most of how the She-Hulk is portrayed, I don't like the part about her slutting herself around the superhero and supervillain world. I know it's supposed to demonstrate that she's a free-spirited and open- minded woman, but it sends a terrible message to her young readers. Kids still do read comics, after all! Plus, it just seems rather like some sort of teen boy fantasy to have a Hulk character who gets horny when she hulks out. It sends a bad message to both boys and girls about women. In other words, beating up bad guys is good, sleeping with them afterwards is not.

Busty Superhero Chick said...

Anonymous, I'm working on it! Just two posts to go before the Big 1-0-0! Now's a good time to let my readers know that next week's posting schedule will be a little disrupted as I put the big 100 post together. I will have my usual Monday post, but the next one, #100, might not appear until Thursday or Friday. I'm just letting you all know now, so you won't worry when you don't see Wednesday's post appearing at its usual time. See you all next week!

Anonymous said...

Cool cool! I look forward to Thursday for the 100th post. By the way, you have a professional writers style. Have you considered working for a major Hollywood television series? If not Hollywood, something else of that nature?

Anonymous said...

Oh....I forgot to ask you - have you set up a profile on either Facebook or MySpace? If you do decide to create a profile on Facebook, you could make it "small" due to the security concerns, but overall I don't think you will have nothing to worry about regardless of which social network site you choose.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I read your reply to Witty in regards to your opinion on She-Hulk. You have a strong moral code and high standards.

Anonymous said...

Possible future post should be as what defines a "bad guy". Most people, my age (in late 20s), grew up watching Transformers, G.I.-Joe, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and Captain Planet and the Planeteers, and so on, and many of the villains character personality is "one-dimensional". Think about it. In war, the enemy thinks that they are fighting justice and change and think that YOU are the enemy. Another argument is life and death.

There are some that believe that there is another existence after we leave this mortal world.

Within the both the Mavel and DC Universe, there have been many villains, that do break the law, but have good intentions. A perfect example is the Sand Man. In an old issue of Avengers, Sand Man was a back up Avenger.

Society loves labels. It makes our world easy to look at. Race is a great example. There are many ethnicities of Asia and Africa, but yet we categorize these groups as simply "Asian", or "Black". I'm not saying that's bad, it’s just how society views our world.

I am rambling, sorry, but to finish off my comment, I think you should discuss from your point of view as what defines a bad guy.