Monday, August 25, 2008

On the issue of commenting under alternate names

I was going to do some catch-up today, but I'll put that off until tomorrow to touch upon something that I must address before this goes on any further, and that is the practice of posting under alternate names, or alts for short.

I didn’t want to do anything to discourage any of you from sending comments to me – and in truth I still don’t, as comments are a big part of blogging, but there simply has been too many comments from alts filling up my mailbox. Over the weekend, I had 32 comments mostly from alts! And as much as I want to believe that Austin Powers and Power Girl read my blog, I’d much prefer to develop a rapport with real people instead of fictional ones.

This also goes for something that I’ve mentioned before: Don’t create any alts of my name. While I'm flattered that you think that highly of me, there's one main reason why I'd prefer that you not make any variations of "Andromeda" or "Busty Superhero Chick": I don't want it to be said that I am "sock-puppeting" - that is, I don't want anyone to think that I'm creating all these alternate identities of myself just so that I can build myself up by commenting on my own blog. The same could be said for all those other alts – that I was “sock-puppeting” just to build myself up.

If I get any further comments from alternates of myself or anyone else, I won’t post them, so please don’t waste your time. In truth, all those alternate names are a distraction anyway, as I can’t tell how many readers I actually have. From the looks of it, I probably have only a few true readers who are posting under numerous alts, and it makes it difficult to know who is who. As much as I’d like to think that I have that many fans, my ego doesn’t need to be fed by an artificial means of alts. And besides, I want all my fans to be real! So please – no more alts. I want to know the real you!

6 comments:

skatcat31 said...

I have yet to ever have an alt. You've probably realized this from my fourm name on comicstripclub, but ussually if you find a skatcat31, it's me. I don't really encourage alternate accoutns because, well, they're annoying as all get out.

Anonymous said...

With what has been going on with the alternative names, have you had time to check your e-mails? Curious that's all.

Busty Superhero Chick said...

Skat, after what I went through, I have to agree that they're annoying. If it had been just the occassional one, I could put up with that. But like I said, it was to the extent that it made me question how many fans I really had - and that's why I felt that I needed to say something.

Busty Superhero Chick said...

Freelancer, I am still going through my alt mail, allowing some to publish, rejecting others, and still deciding on a few. There's some comments that I want to respond to, but I'll do that once I've worked my way through the mail. One idea presented has gotten my artist thinking, and it was in regards to me having more formal costumes in the case of special events. He likes that idea and is working on it. I'll post them once he's gotten some done.

Anonymous said...

Coolio. As well, you also have to consider energy based attacks. I mean - jeez, we are in the 21st century after all! Therefore your costume will need to adapt to these scenarios as well. With what I've read so far, your costume is pretty much good for thug work. And in "thugs" I am referring to bottom feeders, punks, bounces, street gangs, etc, etc. I could go on, but you get the idea.

With regards to the web comic series, you have to start thinking outside the box and consider the unknown.

Anonymous said...

And thanks for answering my question earlier.