Sunday, August 31, 2014

Today begins "Laugh at the Odds" Independent Comics Awareness Month!

Hello, friends!  :-D

As of today, we begin what I hope will become an annual tradition!  I call it "Laugh at the Odds" Independent Comics Awareness Month (LatOICAM)!  In short, all participants will join in the promoting of awareness of all the great independent comics out there, whether they are print comics, webcomics, or otherwise!  Unlike the "Big Boys" of Marvel and DC, the indies totally depend on their readership to survive in the brutal comics industry!  I hope to make each September the month to help show the love for indie creators!  Here's what you do!

Everyone:

* Find or make yourself a Robin Hood hat, and shoot a video of yourself "laughing" at the virtually insurmountable odds that independent comic creators face! What you'll say leading up to the moment that you laugh out loud will depend upon if you are doing this as an independent creator, or as one of his or her fans!

Independent comic creators:


* For you guys and gals, you will start by saying something like: "I am (name), and I am the creator of (comic or webcomic), and I join my laughter at the odds with my fellow comic creators for September's "Laugh at the Odds Independent Comics Awareness Month!  Please show the love to (other creators and their comics), because we all need your love!  And I invite all my fans to join me in laughing at the odds, so please shoot a video of yourself laughing at the odds along with me!  Know that I love and appreciate each and every one of you!"

Then put on your hat, put your hands on your hips, and let out a hearty laugh!

Fans of independent comic creators:

* For the fans of indies, your job in a very real sense is the most important of all, because you will be showing the love for your favorite independent comic creators!  You will start by saying something like "Hello!  I am participating in September's Laugh at the Odds Independent Comics Awareness Month by showing my love for (creator's name), creator of (comic or webcomic)!  (creator's name), I love you!  Please keep at it!  I will be with your ALL. THE. WAY!  I join my laughter at the odds with yours to show you my support, and I invite all the fans of (creator's name)'s work to join me in sharing our love and support for him/her!  Here we go!"

Then put on your hat, put your hands on your hips, and let out a hearty laugh!

All professional, semi-pro, and novice cosplayers:

Yes, cosplayers are invited, because they share a very common love for comics, but in a different way, and for you guys, you can go all the way in decking out in a Robin Hood costume, just for the chance to show off your skillz!  :-D

When you shoot your video, say something like: "Hello!  I'm (name or cosplayer name), and I'm a cosplayer who joins my laughter at the odds with those of independent comic creators, because I know what it's like to labor for what you love!  So for you indies, here's my contribution to Laugh at the Odds Independent Comics Awareness Month!  Good luck indies!  You got my support!  Here we go!"

Then put your hands on your hips and let out a hearty laugh!

Feel free to cut and paste!
Yes, I'm aware that some of you out there won't be keen on linking to the blog post of a conservative right-wing nutjob, so feel free to cut-and-paste the above info to your Facebook wall or blog.  I'm not out for personal credit or glory here, I just want to help spread the awareness of all the hard-working independent comic creators, because those guys and gals deserve it.  This is bigger than me, so feel free to cut-and-paste to spread the word! 

HAVE FUN, EVERYONE!  ^.^


Facebook banner art
Facebook profile art

No comments: