Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review of the movie, Zombieland

Zombieland is a nerd movie!  LOL 

Being a nerd myself, that alone is enough for me to watch it!  But gee, there's other reasons as well!

However, before I continue, let me add the obligatory spoiler warning:

***WARNING!***

Possible spoilers ahead!  If you haven't seen the movie Zombieland and don't want what's in it spoiled for you, then STOP READING NOW!

You have been warned!

Main thing to like, though, is that there be zombies!  Lots of them!  One debate among zombieologists is whether zombies would move fast or slow.  One theory is that they would move slow and plodding because, having risen up out of the grave, they aren't exactly in shape to be bouncing around like ninjas.  These are dead bodies, after all, and they are dead for a reason.

Zombieland (ZL), however, takes a different tack, and it's one that I think makes more sense than reanimated corpses.  The zombies in ZL are infected with what would be a human form of rabies; that is, they are the victims of a mutated mad cow disease and become like dogs with rabies in that they go mad and are no longer in their right minds - so the only "cure" is killing them.  This also means that these zombies aren't dead, just diseased, so they are the fast-moving zombie types.  This thought-out concept is logical and adds to the fun and to the fear factor of the movie.

Did I say that a zombie movie was fun?  Yes!  Even though it is a horror movie, there is humor peppered throughout, and I imagine that if any of us were in such a situation, we probably would indulge in that sort of gallows humor as well.

Word of warning to those who might be sensitive to such things:  There are a lot of scenes in which human bodies are being shot with various caliber of weaponry, so of course there are a lot of exploding heads and bodies.  But who watches a zombie movie and doesn't expect those kinds of scenes?  LOL  There is also a lot of colorful language; f-bombs and the like.  I don't think it necessarily adds or takes away from the movie, but I think if you're in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, then the fact that someone is speaking in colorful language would probably be low priority as far as the problems that need to be dealt with in such circumstances.  ;-)

My favorite part of the movie happens to be the nerd lead character.  He doesn't turn from a WoW nerd into a full-blown action hero - he stays a nerd, with all the shortcomings and foibles that go with it!  Why should that change just because a zombie apocalypse has sprung up?  Still, the circumstances of dealing with all that goes with a zombie apocalypse forces him to deal with his personality shortcomings in a logical and even humorous fashion.

There is one scene that I could totally relate to, because it's what I would probably be most concerned about if a zombie apocalypse actually hit!  It would really, really irritate me if I could no longer shower on a regular basis!  The two female leads had to remind each other to not say the S word so that they wouldn't be reminded of that!  But enough about female vanity...

Anyway, I thought the movie was well thought out and I liked how each of the nerd's zombie rules would pop up to the side as each example presented itself.  Even Bill Murray's appearance was great!  There was only one scene that I have a complaint about, and that was towards the end of the movie, in which it looks like the ladies were about to drive off again with the car! 

By this time, they had driven off two other times with the car. After being fooled twice, don't you think that the dudes would know to - keep the car keys to themselves??? Fortunately for the movie producers, that is the only complaint I had about ZL.  :-)

Again, just a caveat that there are many scenes of zombies getting shot and blown up, so if you're squeamish about such scenes, then this might not be the movie for you.  Also is the previously mentioned colorful language.  Otherwise, I think you'll enjoy this movie as much as I did, because it lived up to the expectations that I had of it for a zombie movie, and more! 

So, on a scale of 1 to 10 in which 1 is a bomb and 10 is THE bomb, I give ZL a 9!  Yeah, I think it was that good! 

Coming next week will be my review of The Kings' Speech.

No comments: