Thursday, August 16, 2012

World of Warcraft movie - or rather the lack of one.

For years, rumors of a World of Warcraft movie was always on the horizon.  It was always going to be "next year".  Well, 4 expansions of WoW are about to happen, and still no movie.  You know what bugs me?  The WoW movie could have taken up the slack left by the end of the Lord of the Rings movies.  Heck, there could have been a WoW movie as each expansion came out.  Instead, we have no movie, and the next LOTR movie is about to come out - almost 10 years after the last one was released.

I don't know what the hold-up is, but it's probably related to why the WoW comic was cancelled after it was just getting warmed up (It had Walt Simonson as the writer - you know, the guy who wrote the classic Thor series!) with the promise that not one, but two ongoing series were going to replace it.  But then that didn't happen.  Well, no problem, there's the manga WoW novels that were running at the time, and a couple of graphic novels were on the way.  Except that the manga WoW novels likewise got cancelled, and the promised graphic novels never materialized.  Sigh.

There is allegedly another graphic novel on the way, this one based on the new Mists of Panderia - but I'm not holding my breath.  My friends, I love WoW and its lore.  I love the fact that WoW belongs to my generation - those of us born in the 1980s.  But I wish Blizzard, the company behind WoW, would do a much better job of getting behind its product.  It's really disappointing to the fans that the movie and the comics keep being promised but not delivered.

What I don't get is why they can't make a WoW movie as a CGI like in the cinematic below.  What's wrong with a whole movie in this style?  Wouldn't this be much faster than trying to put together a cast and scenery?  At least we have the game, but there is so much more that could have been done by now.  WoW is to my generation of nerds is like the lover who is indeed loving, but lazy.  High - and even eloquent - on promises, but short on following through.  There will eventually be an end to WoW, but I can't help but feel that the end of it will come sooner than expected, because Blizzard failed to deliver on too many promises.


No comments: