Saturday, September 1, 2012

You in college in your late 20s or early 30s? Good for you!


I had posted this meme on my FB wall, saying "Srsly, Dems - this woman is your hero; the spokeswoman for your cause?  Sandra Fluke is srsly the best you could do?" 

Anyway, I'd like to make a little clarification, because I know people who are in their late 20s and early 30s and are still in college.  I didn't intend to sound dismissive of those still in college while past the traditional age for college - early 20s, in other words.

I'm just rather puzzled that Sandra Fluke is seen as some sort of hero for demanding that a CATHOLIC college pay for her birth control; a woman who, if she has the financial means of going to a very not-inexpensive university, then she should be able to finance her own birth control rather than demand it from a religious faith whose tenets forbid its usage (going to Georgetown to demand birth control was actually one of the reasons that she went there).  At the very least, she could exercise a little more sexual restraint. I mean, that's what adults do - it's still part of the maturation process (especially by age 30!), learning how to say "no" once in a while, instead of diving into your carnal lusts like wild howler monkeys in heat.

Having said all that, let me say again that if you're in your late 20s or early 30s and are still in college, then I am very happy for you.  And I hope you pursue your desire all the way to graduation day, whether it's your Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate.  You are living the American dream, my friends, and it's a grand, grand thing, and I couldn't be happier and prouder of you for your persistence.  You are the reason why the US will find its footing again and restore itself back to its grandeur, so Godspeed to you! 



No comments: