Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Time for a little catch-up

Okay, folks - time to get caught up here.

First, sorry that last week's posts were so sparse, but like I said, it was a crazy week. I fully intended to post stuff, but I just couldn't get around to it, and before I knew it, it was Friday! LOL

Anyway, I hope you all had a great Christmas. Let me rattle off a few things to get myself all situated here.

First, Yule-aphobia was not as bad this year, and I actually heard more retailers and cashiers tell me "Merry Christmas" rather than "Happy Holidays", so that's good news. There were a few cashiers that I had to repeat "Merry Christmas" before they would respond in kind, and only once did I had to say "Merry Christmas" twice before the cashier caught on to what I was doing and then responded in kind. I also saw more signage at various retailers using the right phrase instead of the generic Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings. Quick rule here: If someone is wishing you Merry Christmas, then it's pretty safe to wish them back in the same way.

The way that this holiday has gotten all PC is ridiculous, and there have still been problems with civil authorities (city, state, and even some federal, I believe) allowing Christmas symbols on public property. I will have to comment on this more, because they try to take this from an angle of "crossing the line between church and state by promoting a religion", but that's simply not the case. This will be a topic for another time, though. :-)

Next, among the gifts I got for Christmas was Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and the new Star Trek movie. I've already seen the Transformers movie and I'll be giving my review of it later this week. I still need to get around to watching Star Trek.

A couple of you and one person I know in real life asked about my rant of baby boomers in a recent blog entry, and wanted to know the basis of my rant. This is the only indicator that I'll give of my age: I'm a child of baby boomer parents, so I've seen firsthand of some of the goofy logic that that generation seems to be infected with. Don't get me wrong; I love my parents and I don't hate baby boomers, but like many children, I took views opposite of my parents as a way of rebelling against them, and in this instance of course, I adopted conservative views as a way of rebelling against my very liberal parents.

Even though I came into conservatism as an act of rebellion, I still view it as the right way to go in life, which is why I have held onto my conservative views even though the desire to rebel against them has long died. It still annoys my parents, though. Well, I now hope they'll see things my way one day. So even though I may have come into the truth with less-than-noble intents, I still came across the truth, and there's no reason to let go, now or ever. More to come on this as well, although I will avoid discussing what is private family matters and stick to what is most likely common experiences of those among my generation.

Such fun awaits us, my friends! I can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you had a great Christmas. My Christmas was small, and that's the way I like it. I believe everybody disagrees with their parents (I know I do).

Some of the things that come out my father's mouth does annoy me, but that does not mean I hate him.

Have yourself a good night.

Anonymous said...

I know you have not seen J.J. Abrams's Star Trek and I don't want it spoil it for you. I am a Trekkie and have been since I was 10 years old. I love to hear your explanation of the Red element. Watch the film and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Make it so busty one!

ENGAGE!