Monday, November 30, 2009

My mission for December: To fight Yulephobia

So what is Yulephobia? (pronounced "yool-uh-foe-bee-uh")

It's the irrational fear of many retailers, news media, and most of your run-of-the-mill liberals to say the word "Christmas", even during the Christmas season. They fear saying it, because they don't want to offend non-Christians, even though nearly all non-Christians know that the vast majority of U.S. citizens are Christian. Subconsciously, sufferers of Yulephobia also fear that they might themselves become Christian if they utter the word "Christmas". For that crowd, being a Christian is the antithesis of being "open-minded, tolerant, enlightened and intellectual", and they just can't have that, dontchaknow.

In other words, it's yet another example of PC crap run amok. According to the PC crowd, Americans are a hypersensitive population just waiting for something to be offended by - and it's even become a regular source of income for various lawyers who specialize in these types of "outrage" lawsuits. For some reason, the world will go to hell in a handbasket if we were to ever to utter the word "Christmas" publicly, which is why we have instead "Happy Holidays", or "Season's Greetings" (by the way, I never understood that. Why are we greeting seasons?), or "Winter Festival" or "Sparkle Season" and other such bland crap all in the name of being inoffensive.

But you know what? I'm offended by this push to push out all things Christmas. Does my being offended count among that PC crowd? Of course not. The most I'll get is "I'm sorry you're offended, but..." blahblahblah and other such blathering nonsense as to why we can't say Christmas publicly. So I say - the hell with that; I'm fighting back!

For the rest of this month, I will be on patrol for any and all examples of Christmas PC nuttiness, and I'll post it here just so that you all can see how insane some of this gets. It's my goal to help the sufferers of Yulephobia to get over their phobia and to join in with the rest of us. I'm not saying that they should convert to Christianity - this is not about proselytizing - but instead to have the correct understand of the true meaning of Christmas. So in the coming weeks, watch for my Yulephobia Alerts, and feel free to forward any examples that you also come across in news reports, retail advertising, and anywhere else you might see it.

Imagine if the producers of the movie A Dog Named Christmas had caved in to the PC nuts and renamed it "A Dog Named Holiday". See how stupid that sounds? The title also loses all of its meaning related to what the movie is about. This is why I am going to fight this fight.

By the way, I had a great Thanksgiving, and I hope you did, too. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeez! Lawsuits for saying the word "Christmas"? Wow! That's crazy. For a country has vast as yours, the citizen need to get over themselves and grow up.