Thursday, November 19, 2009

My daily dialogues in real life

I got the response below from someone named Joseph in regards to my previous blog entry on being both pro-life and pro-death penalty. I was going to respond to Joseph in the commentary section of that post, but my response got a little long, so I thought I would just put it here instead. It will also give you all a little insight into my goings-on in real life. :-)

Here's Joseph's response:

Hi. I read your blog post on your explanation on you being pro-life and pro-death penalty. I have a question to ask you. In your daily life, have you been having conversations with people that disagree with you, and you feel you need to express your thoughts that have been on your mind? I'm only curious and all. With regards to your question to pro-choicers on whatever or not there is an abortion that they would oppose, then logically the answer would be 'no'. Then it would not be pro-choice. You answered your own question. Of course you probably already knew that.

Joseph,

First, thanks for your response. Let me go ahead and tackle your observations in order.

I do indeed have these discussions in real life! And most of these discussions are because I'm a conservative among a bunch of liberals. Just think of that show, The View. Among the people I know, I am one Elizabeth Hasselbeck among a bunch of Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldbergs. Fortunately, our debates and discussions - nearly all of which are impromptu - are civil, even if we do get loud on occasion. In fact, it was during one of these discussions that the boss "discovered" me, and asked me about doing this blog. He felt that my style of discussion could carry over to a blog. I have to say that I enjoyed blogging a lot more than I ever thought I would, so I'm glad the boss talked me into it.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I could head off a lot of these discussions in real life by answering their questions here on my blog. Many questions I get have been asked numerous other times, so rather than repeat myself time and time again, I tell them to go to my blog and see what I say there about "X" issue, and then get back to me if they have any other questions. This blog also allows me to organize my thoughts rather than go all over the place like my real life impromptu discussions do.

And Joseph, my fellow debaters even debate about my blog! LOL Well, they like how I explain myself, but they disagree with many of my answers - just like they do in real life, actually. Why should that change? Also, the more feminist among the group think that the title Busty Superhero Chick only adds to the objectification of women - and to an extent I agree, and am working on that. In the meantime, I will stick to my goal of challenging you guys on your obsession of boobs. I recently got an idea of just how much of a lost cause such a challenge is, but hey - I don't give up easily. ;-)

Here's the thing, dudes: I could challenge your obsession with boobs the way some of my radical feminist friends do- by protests and mass mailings (both by snail mail and e-mail) and by railing ad nauseum about what scum men are. But if I did that, the only ones who would read my blog would be a very narrow group of women who have anti-social tendencies; and in case you didn't know it, women with anti-social tendencies are not fun to be around. I was about to suggest that you try hanging around such a woman to find out, but then I don't want you to hate me afterwards. ;-)

So anyway, I chose the other means of challenging you dudes' obsession with boobs: with humor. Funny thing though, I kinda fell into the trap of objectifying women in the process, but hey - live and learn. I still think this can be done, and I'll keep working at it.

Okay Joseph, in regards to your second observation as to the fact that persons who are pro-choice can't offer an abortion that they oppose, I agree with you. It also demonstrates that what they support is not "choice" in the true sense of the word, but instead choosing only abortion. If being pro-choice really were about having choices, then Octomom would have been a pro-choice hero and celebrity. Think about it! She did *choose*, right?

So really, the term "pro-choice" is an oxymoron, because there is only one choice that is acceptable to the true pro-choice activist, and that's the choice of abortion. "Pro-abortion" is actually more accurate to define such people, but that's not a pleasant term, which is why "pro-choice" was chosen instead.

It's a bit ironic that I, as a prolifer, can take into consideration the life of the mother (as demonstrated in my previous blog entry). But prochoicers, being locked into only one "choice" as they are, cannot at all take the life of the baby into consideration.

No comments: