Friday, December 31, 2010

Year-end Comics talk!













Here we are at year's end, so what better way to end a blog largely about talking comics than to talk comics? Here we go!

In May of 2009, I had answered a question here in regards to whether I had ever given a shot to the nuts of any super dudes I fought. Here is my response from that previous time. In short, I said that us super ladies do nutshots mainly as a last resort, and almost never as the first strike, because the super strength dudes can shake it off fairly quickly (but it still does hurt, judging by their reactions!).

Anyway, in the recent Power Girl, (#19), it shows her giving a nutshot to a giant killer robot, with devastating results! So what happened? The lower half of his body blew up, leaving just bare metal legs in their place! Ouch! See, folks? Us super ladies aren't above such hits if it has the desired result! You shouldn't go around using your superior strength to go beating on ladies anyway, even if they do happen to be super as well! I can honestly say that I have rarely resorted to such a - er, low blow - but I can also say that in no instance did any of the dude's lower torsos explode! Although I'm sure it felt like it did, judging by their reaction!

Next comic! On the last page of this week's Incredible Hulks (#619), Bruce Banner's adult daughter from the future, named Lyra, has just explained why she is not interested in pursuing a father/daughter relationship with him; namely (and to make a long story short), back where she is from, having a father was a reason for shame, because in her future world, women ruled (a feminist dream come true!), and were able to have children without the aid of men. Lyra was brought into existence by way of her mother Thundra going back in time to acquire the Hulk's DNA and using it to create Lyra.

If you will note on the last page posted below, Bruce acknowledged the difficulties Lyra is going to have in this new world of hers, and that she would be better off getting guidance from Bruce's cousin, Jennifer Walters; AKA the She-Hulk. I have to disagree with Bruce's arguments on the last page. If he really wants Lyra to have a better understanding of the world she has chosen to live in, then she should work on establishing a relationship with her father. In the process, she could see why her future world's attitudes towards men were wrong. If Bruce really wants her to accept her new circumstances, then chucking aside a big part of that - having a relationship with her father - is a mistake. Girls in our present time have relationships with their fathers. I'll keep a tab on where this goes, but the writers are missing an opportunity to demonstrate the benefits that daughters can have with a healthy relationship with their fathers.













And speaking of Marvel Comics, I am not sure I like the direction of the recent storyline of Chaos War. I'm not sure what it is that I don't like yet, but it just seems right now to be the Marvel version of DC Comics' Black Lantern storyline. Oh yeah, and speaking of that, I have no idea where they are now going with this Brightest Day storyline. It's all over the place now! There seems to be no real focus or theme going on - it just seems to be moving along looking for a storyline, and it's this close to losing my interest.

I suggest to Marvel and DC to resolve to wrap these grandiose storylines up in 2011!

Okay, I gotta wrap this up for now. I hope you guys all have a great New Year's! See you next year!

No comments: