Monday, January 30, 2012

So far, my favorite DC Comics Reboot title is...

Okay, it's been 5 months since DC Comics did its "reboot" thing.  My verdict so far:  Still being determined.

I haven't read all of the new titles - mainly because I don't have that kind of money to buy all of them - but also because not all of them interest me.  However, one has at least caught my interest, and it's a surprise to me.  That title would be Batgirl with Barbara Gordon donning the cape and cowl.

Before I continue, let me state here that I'm about to reveal spoilers, so if you haven't read Batgirl and don't want what's in it spoiled for you, then -

STOP READING NOW!   You have been warned!

I, for one, am rather disappointed in the way they brought the Barbara Gordon Batgirl back.  She's still the same Barbara Gordon who was paralyzed from the waist down, but somehow, inexplicably, she regained her ability to walk and run and do her other superhero stuff.  Pre-Reboot Barbara was an inspiration to those who were physically disabled - and yet now suddenly she's whole and hearty again.  Almost a slap in the face to what DC had been promoting her up to this point, I would think.   I don't get what DC was trying to do here.  It seems to me that if they were going to reboot the characters, then they should have done the same here with Babs.  Anywhoo...

 I have to admit that I have enjoyed reading her struggling with getting back into the superhero groove.  She's managing, but it's not easy, which is no surprise, since she's been out of the superhero loop for a while.  However, the real bombshell is the introduction of her mother!  I'll say here that I haven't read every single thing about Barbara Gordon as Batgirl then Oracle and now back to Batgirl again, but I don't recall a previous time in which her mother was even brought up.  To my knowledge, it's always been just her and her dad.

Here, at least, we will now find out what happened, and why her mother left.  Apparently, the departure was all her mother's idea, and it left Babs bitter.  So... why did she leave, and what happens now?  I don't know!

It's this very fact that has caught my interest, and it's why Batgirl is currently the title that I most look forward to, so as to see how the writers answer the questions that are now lingering about Babs' mother.  All I gotta say is - they better not screw this up!  This, my little nerdlings, is why I love comics.  :-D

No comments: