Thursday, June 11, 2009

Review of Hancock

Over the weekend, I finally got to see the movie Hancock, which I had planned on seeing for awhile now.

I'll say one thing that the movie got right, and that's landings! When I first got my flight powers, landings were very difficult! I often left holes in concrete like Hancock did! The main thing is that the ground comes up so fast, and you have to adjust your eye/foot coordination to react accordingly. Fortunately during my learning curve I never killed anyone, and only once did I accidently injure someone with flying debris from one of my landings (he's okay). However, I did leave lots of property damage, which is why I had tried to keep my landings to open fields where I had room to tumble if I didn't land squarely. It's a good thing that my rough landings are now a thing of the past, but I couldn't help but laugh at Hancock's landings!

As for the movie, I enjoyed the first half of it very much, and I was close to giving it a great review, but the second half was like a whole other movie. Before I continue, let me add this:

WARNING!
Possible spoilers ahead! If you have not seen the movie and don't want the story revealed to you, STOP READING NOW!!! You have been warned!


I think that the movie could have actually left out Hancock's origins for a later sequel. I enjoyed the first half of the movie because you couldn't help but feel sorry for Hancock, because as far as he knew, he was the only one of his kind (superhuman, that is). Who wouldn't feel lonely? I think the movie could have kept to that without going into any origins for this time around. Instead, suddenly another super is introduced, and it turns out that they are the last two of their kind. No explanation is given as to how they got their powers, and it could have been explained that they didn't know how they got them (if you remember, in my "universe", superhumans are considered the next step on the evolutionary ladder).

But the introduction of the other super and going into origins made an odd and distracting disconnect to the story stream, because suddenly the story is taking off into a whole nother direction. It's like the producers didn't think the movie wasn't going to do well, so they decided to slap on its sequel just so that they get both taken care of at the same time. It's because of this odd disconnect that I have to give this movie a rating of 7.5 on a scale of 1 to 10 in which 1 is a bomb and 10 is THE bomb. I'd say it's worth watching at least one time, but after that you'll want to go onto another superhero movie.

See you next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Your a superhero! People should love you!!" replies the PR guy.

Hancock coldly turns to the PR guy and says, "Do you think I care what other people think?"