Friday, September 18, 2009

Green Lantern: First Flight review



Green Lantern and the Green Lantern Corps have been making the rounds in recent years, and it's been a very fun ride following it all. For today's blog entry, I will review the recently released movie Green Lantern: First Flight (GLFF).

Overall, I very much enjoyed the movie. It was certainly entertaining and it was cool seeing all those Green Lanterns, and to see them use their rings. It also reinforced the Hal Jordan as a gung-ho jet jockey followed by being a gung-ho ring jockey. I guess the only problem with it is that it was rather predictable. So as to differentiate between Hal and the other GLs, I'm just going to say Hal from here on, because he was the main character anyway.

Unlike the previous 2009 DC release Wonder Woman, which had some unexpected plot twists and pleasant surprises, GL:FF basically followed a familiar formula of the gung-ho smartass learning a lesson in humility and re-dedicating himself afterwards to be a more open and sensitive man. I'm trying very hard to avoid using the word "formulaic" because that word generally has negative vibes, and like I said, it was still a very enjoyable movie. Because of its entertainment value, it doesn't deserve the label "formulaic".

I just wonder if this was rushed through production to get it to the market as quickly as possible, because I think the story could have used a little tweaking to work out the predictability and work in a good plot twist. In other words, I think such tweaking would have made a very good movie even better. I still recommend buying it, and I still give it an 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10 in which 1 is a bomb and 10 is THE bomb.

Sorry that this post is a day late. See you next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, Odd Todd was Green Lantern. I had a laugh when I saw this in 2006.

Enjoy.

Donald Gordon said...

How come in GL:FL, GL is portrayed as a white guy, while in the Justice League animated series he's black?