Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review of Toy Story 3

Okay folks, in a rare instance of me seeing a movie while it was in the theater (gasp!), I ventured out to watch Toy Story 3 (TS3).

For those of you who may be new readers to my blog, there is something you should know about me in regards to movies. Seeing as how we pay so much nowadays to go to the movies (not to mention the price of the drinks and snacks!), I absolutely hate paying for a bad movie. Not just dislike it like most people, I HATE it!

I'm talking being mad about it a couple of days later! Mainly I hate the fact that the movie industry puts out worthless crap and charges so much for it, and since we keep going anyway, they will keep putting out formulaic, unimaginative, over-hyped and over-priced crap! I hate spending money on crappy movies so much that I still feel bad for the person who treats me to the movies because they know I hate paying for crappy movies! Even if someone treats me, the movie industry is still getting rewarded for putting out a crappy movie!

But I digress.... :-)

Before I continue, the usual disclaimer:

NOTE: The text below will contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want the surprise to be blown for you, STOP READING NOW! You have been warned!

I had to really be persuaded that I would really enjoy TS3, despite the higher ticket price because it was in 3D. I warned my friends that if this movie turns out to be crappy, be prepared for me to Hulk out! LOL Fortunately for them, not only did I enjoy the movie, I loved it!

I feel that it is a worthy successor to the first TS movies. I love how the story reflected that things change even for toys. Toys get sold in yard sales, thrown away, or donated to someone else. And I never imagined the hell that a toy goes through in a day care! I also love how the writers make you really feel the emotions behind the characters. Who knew that you could feel such emotion from a stuffed doll or a plastic action figure?

Of course parts of it was going to be predictable and formulaic. After all, did we really expect the toys to perish in that junkyard incinerator? Still, the joining of their hands and the facing of their impending demise together with a brave face was really moving. I would imagine facing such a fiery death would be especially difficult for Woody, because he always figured out how to get out of trouble spots. But here he had no answers or last-minute escapes. When he saw that it was futile, he joined hands with them.

If you haven't seen the movie and are STILL reading this, then I'm going to make you watch the movie to see how they get out of that! Bwahahahaha!

My favorite character, though, was Chuckles the Clown! Here we have a doll that is all cute and brightly-colored like a clown doll should be, but with such a hardboiled and dour attitude! I loved the irony! He's my new hero! LOL

The ending to the movie actually brought a tear to my eye. Andy, the little boy who owns the toys, is now about to go off to college, and at the end, he gives all his toys to a little girl. When he finds that Woody unexpectedly is in the box, he hesitates for a moment before handing him to the little girl, but he ends up giving him to her. And then he plays with them (with the little girl) one more time before he heads off. What a fitting ending, I think.

On a scale of 1 to 10 in which 1 is a bomb and 10 is THE bomb, I give TS3 a 9. The only thing that I didn't like wasn't the movie itself, but the fact that it was in 3D. Being in 3D didn't really add anything to the story; so basically, it was just a pretty and unnecessary accessory.

TS3 is a movie that I'll purchase when it comes out in DVD. :-)

3 comments:

Wittie Indie said...

Andy, you are aware you could of seen Toy Story 3 in standard 2D right? I went to see this movie two weeks ago and wanted to see the 2D version. I believe that adding the extra 3D to an already CGI film is unnecessary.

Unfortunately, I arrived at the theatre late and was afraid that there weren't enough seats left. The next show was half an hour later, but in 3D. Meh. Oh well.

I enjoyed the film also. The short before the film "Day and Night" was excellent. The writing staff at Pixar is top notch.

Busty Superhero Chick said...

I am aware that there was a 2D version, but my friends insisted on me seeing the 3D version. I suppose that I could have complained about the fact that the movie would have been just as good - and for less - had I gone to the 2D version, but I did enjoy the movie that much. I suspect that this 3D stuff is yet another excuse for Hollywood to charge even more for movies.

Wittie Indie said...

LOL! It is Andy! The following statement was from an Internet Reviewer proving your point:

This movie [The Last Airbender] was in unnecessary 3D! STOP IT! I read it online; if the movie is not created for 3D - there's problems! It seems that there's less fidelity. It seems more blurry - even with clean glasses.

Angry Joe

The Angry Joe Show


http://tinyurl.com/aangfilm